Lauterbrunnen Valley, Switzerland
Private chalet – Private chefs
Alpine picnics featuring local cheese and salami.
Cogwheel trains – Boats – Hiking – Gondolas – Funiculars
We will do whatever it takes to thoroughly explore this stunning valley, boasting 72 waterfalls and 3 world-famous glacial peaks!
So grab your passport and my hand (not to mention your hiking shoes, walking sticks, and camera gear)… and join me for a trip to the closest thing I’ve found to Heaven on Earth… Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland!
Opening your eyes from the deepest sleep you can remember in ages, you wonder if it is jetlag or the clean mountain air that is responsible for that blissful slumber. Standing to stretch, you hear the distinctive tinkle of cowbells.
You step out onto your private balcony and take a peek out over the flower boxes overflowing with geraniums to spy a herder driving his flock onto the meadow across the little valley. So picturesque… you half expect to see Heidi and her grandfather strolling down the lane at any minute.
Checking the itinerary for the day, you’re excited to see that hiking, exploring waterfalls, and an alpine picnic are all on the docket, so you quickly double-check that your camera and extra batteries are all ready to go.
Once showered and dressed, you grab your camera bag and head to the dining room for what promises to be an epic breakfast and delicious cup of coffee. You know that you’ll need the fuel it provides to get you through the very active day of hiking and exploration ahead.
As you and the others descend to the valley floor on the funicular, you glimpse one of the many waterfalls spilling out over the most beautiful little village, and it simply takes your breath away. How can any place be this visually spectacular? Ha! You’re sure that is a question you’ll be pondering for years to come.
Once on the valley floor, your group follows the path next to the river, taking all the time you need to literally stop and smell the flowers. There is no sense of urgency here. No desire to rush though any of this magnificence for fear of missing any of the little nuances that make this valley so special.
Later that afternoon, the group ascends the mountains once more for a visit to the tiny village of Gimmelwald. Tucked on top of one of the Alps, this village should be overrun with tourists and ski operators… but somehow it is frozen in time… untouched by technology and the modern world below. As you stroll down the car-free streets, you see signs in front of the houses indicating “alpine cheese” or “salami” for sale. The owner of the house appears when you ring the bell, and is delighted to walk with you to the cheese storage hut so that you can make your delicious purchase. This has all the makings of a lazy picnic in the nearby meadows… the sun is shining, and the scenery is staggering in its rugged beauty.
Returning to your chalet that evening, you enjoy a glass of wine while chatting on the balcony with the others in your group about that day’s activities. What a day! What a trip! What a place! At that very moment you decide to count this trip as one of your most precious blessings, and realize this is a memory that will be with you always!
What is there to do in Lauterbrunnen Valley?
The little town of Lauterbrunnen is tucked into this U-shaped valley. A crystal clear river runs the length of the valley, and from it’s magnificent granite walls pour 72 waterfalls. The one shown here seems to pour directly into the village itself.
Murren is another delightful village on the mountain just above the town of Lauterbrunnen. This is the location of our private chalet, and will be our launching pad into all of the explorations we do throughout the week.
Gimmelwald is my favorite single spot on Earth. We will spend the morning making our way to this little village that time forgot… assembling the ingredients for our alpine picnic along the way. Then we will simply hang out and watch the day go by in this magical setting.
The magnificent glacier fed Trümmelbach Falls , a series of 10 waterfalls in a cave-like environment, is hidden inside a mountain in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. It’s a natural UNESCO World heritage site, and rightly so.
Famous for its starting roll in On Her Majestey’s Secret Service (James Bond)… Piz Gloria atop the Schilthorn is one of those places you’ve just got to get to in your lifetime. Long gondola rides bring you to this place, where hang-gliders launch right outside the window of your seat at the 360-degree revolving restaurant. The view is unimaginable!
As you take the cogwheel train from the valley floor and head up the mountain towards the Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe), you will come to the village of Wengen. This is a beautiful place to get off the train and walk around. Delightful shops, hotels, restaurants, and beautiful views await you here.
Top of Europe
With an elevation of more than 11,000 feet, the visitor’s center at Jungfraujoch is the highest train station in Europe. When the weather on this peak is clear, you can see forever… over the entire valley below, and over the glaciers and other peaks surrounding it. It is absolutely worth the trip up the mountain on the cogwheel train to get here. (See “Ice Caverns” activity, too)
Another stop along the cogwheel trainride to Jungfraujoch is the little outpost of Kleine Scheidegg. Not much here but a hotel and great restaurant, but the views are spectacular. This is the best place to sit and watch the climbers ascend the famous Eiger mountain.
Stop here on your way up or down the mountain, and check it out!
While at the Top of Europe, you can walk on top of the glaciers, take a dog sled ride, or go inside the glaciers to visit the Ice Caverns. You’ll bundle up and walk on ice walkways though the middle of the glacier, where artists have carved gorgeous ice sculpture in various “rooms” within the glacier. It is a truly magical experience, and a must-do if you make it to the Top of Europe.
This special place on Earth is so impressive and so rich with things to do and see. Susie doesn’t want to occupy all of your time with planned activities. Instead, she will mix it up between planned days and days to explore on your own.
Group activities during the week will include a trip on the cogwheel train up to the Top of Europe and the Ice Caverns (weather permitting), as well as a tour of the Trammelbach Falls. She will also lead the tour the day that the group makes its way to Gimmelwald for the alpine picnic. She will very likely have a few special surprises planned for the group as well.
Her goal is to leave plenty of time for relaxing, hiking, photography, bungy jumping, and general exploration on your own time/pace. This is one of those places where the minute you leave it, you’ll want to return. Soak it in, people!
Each morning and each evening, our private chefs will be preparing meals for us, as this valley is particularly expensive, and eating in restaurants each day will quickly break the bank! We will, however, enjoy a night out for Fondue as a group.
Lunches or extra meals are on your own.
We will spend six nights in our chalet in Murren, and then make our way to Interlaken for the nights of the 14th and 15th, and will conclude the morning of the 16th.
From Interlaken, guests can catch trains to Milan, Geneva, Lucern and Zurich… depending on which airport you choose to fly in and out of.
Another consideration would be to do a pre-extension and join me in Tuscany, Italy (May 28 through June 6)… see separate marketing page for the Mangia – Pregare – Amore! trip to Tuscany!
What You Can Expect from Periquito Adventures & Travel (PAT)
- Commitment to Quality – Periquito Adventures & Travel (PAT) is committed to elevating the vacation experience by taking small groups of people to beautiful places to see/do amazing things!
- End-to-End High-touch Service – Take the guesswork out of your next vacation! PAT does all of the pre-trip planning and preparation for you, and Susie personally accompanies the group throughout the entire journey.
- Professional Guides – PAT hires only private, professional, certified, local guides when necessary to get you around the crowds and to the heart of the destination. Our guides not only explain what you’re seeing, but will make sure you have a sense of history or the significance of the place or treasures before you.
- Transportation: We avoid large buses and motor coaches at all costs. Our transportation will be either well-appointed passenger cars or vans, or public transportation (meaning trains, planes, boats, funiculars, gondolas, lifts, etc.)
- Best Agenda / Unique Experiences – Susie is dedicated to making her adventures so much more than a standard family vacation could offer. The group dynamic, world-class locations, a focus on fun and uncommon experiences are all a part of what makes a Periquito Adventure a journey you’ll always remember… for ALL THE RIGHT REASONS!
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- All accommodations at the Chalet in Murren and at the Hotel in Interlaken (based on double occupancy – if you don’t have a travel partner, you will be paired with a roommate)
- All activity fees, guide fees, and transportation fees (funicular, cogwheel train, gondolas, boats, etc.) that are part of our GROUP events/tours.
- Breakfast and Dinner each day at the Chalet, and the Fondue dinner out.
- All soft drinks, water, wine, and beer consumed at the Chalet
- Two private chefs to prepare breakfasts and dinners
- Minimum tips for our service personnel
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
- Airfare and train tickets to/from Lauterbrunnen Valley train station.
- Travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Additional tipping (optional) – While very basic tips for our service providers are already included in the price… should you see or feel that someone is going above and beyond to make your trip easy, safe, or special, I encourage you to spontaneously tip these folks on your own. This is always appreciated more than you could ever imagine.
- Any food or drink consumed away from the Chalet (generally lunches and snacks)
- Pre- or post-tour Extensions – Any expenses you incur prior to arriving in Lauterbrunnen Valley, or upon checking out from hotel in Interlaken on the 16th are on your own.
- Any local transportation you need during self-exploration of the valley. Susie will try to secure discount vouchers or cards so that this transportation is less than single-pay tourist prices.
Meet the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Switzerland team!
Amazing Experience Curator
Periquito Adventures & Travel
Building friendships, mending souls, and healing hearts… one epic adventure at a time!
To understand Periquito Adventures & Travel, you first need to know the story of Susie and Morgan Langley. Married for nearly 30 years, they traveled the world together, making life-long friendships, collecting memories, and photographing some of the most scenic and magical places they could find. Morgan loved adventure and adrenaline… he even raced motorcycles for many years in Baja California. His Mexican racing friends called him “Periquito” (Spanish for little parrot, because he could talk… A LOT!).
Sadly, a tragic traffic accident took Morgan’s life in September of 2017. In the months that followed, Susie founded Periquito Adventures & Travel in his honor, lifting up his memory as she shares their wanderlust with all who wish to experience it.
Periquito Adventures & Travel focuses exclusively on taking small groups to beautiful places to do amazing things! You will get to see and do things with P.A.T. that you will not get access to with independent or large-group travel. Susie does all the legwork for you to create a safe, organized, fun, and flexible way to see the world. Moreover, the shared experiences realized through small-group travel promotes true and lasting friendships and are designed to expand your world and feed your soul.
Chef Ivan & Chef Anne
Culinary Enthusiasts and Private Chefs, and
the proud Founders of Woods Kitchen
At Woods Kitchen, we focus on the premise that healthy meals should not only fuel bodies but also taste great and bring people together. That’s why bring the most sought after products from our kitchen to yours.
Based in San Diego, California, our products are crafted in small batches where we source carefully and responsibly, procuring only the finest all-natural ingredients. We never use preservatives, fillers or any other strange stuff, and offer options that are low in fat, and minimize the use of salt and sugar. Our products are naturally vegan, gluten-free and when at all possible, we use organic, non-GMO and fair trade sources.
At Woods Kitchen Foods, we are here to be your culinary wing man! Fresh Ingredients, delicious flavors and ease of use are the key elements in all our products. Our sauces complement any protein or veggie dish and can be combined with other ingredients to create delectable dressings and marinades.
Whether you are putting together a dinner party for many or enjoying a quiet night at home, Woods Kitchen Foods is here to help. Our mission is simple: we want every one of your meals to be a special occasion.